Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gallantly Streaming

Normally I'm not what you'd call patriotic.

You know what I mean -- I'm just not into the patriotic thing. I hang a flag on 4th of July, but not really any other time. I know all the words to the Star Spangled Banner and even the other verses of America the Beautiful, but that's more being a lyrics nerd. I've never felt like I should buy an American car nor do I check if products are American made. I don't have much patience for people who reduce discussions of the US to "love it or leave it" terms.

When we planned to move to Canada, it had nothing to do with my approval or disapproval of the American government. That's not why we were going and my feeling towards the country of my birth and citizenship had nothing to do with anything. And we didn't change our minds for those reasons.

So it surprises me to find that I'm feeling something about keeping our money in the country.

Never mind that we really felt like the Canadians tried to take us for all we're worth. Never mind that they acted like our money was no good and that we deserved additional credit penalties on our mortgage, just for being Americans. There's something else.

Something that has to do with the US Customs agents saying "Welcome Home," when we come back into the country.

Certainly setting up a US mortgage feels like beyond easy at this point.

I participated in a webinar for work today on a new project. It's for state efforts funded by the stimulus act, which requires a certain amount of the materials used to be American. We'd be evaluating the requests for waivers from the requirements, say if the widget needed can only be obtained from Japan. The examples of what we might look for naturally lead to the ways that an applicant might slant the research to show there's no equivalent American product, whether from laziness or a vested interest in something else.

It made me think. Who would be the person who would deliberately not buy American? Probably no one. It's more about the change in thinking, to deliberately seek out the American equivalent, if it exists. To go to some extra pain and expense to do so.

For a while my mom was resolved to buy nothing from China. After a while, she was forced to give up. In great frustration. It simply couldn't be done, unless she went without. I suppose she could have done so, but that wasn't really the point. She still makes the effort.

I suppose that's what the Big Switch comes to. We wouldn't have made the choice deliberately to keep our money in country, but now that we are, I feel good about it. So many budget cuts around us. It feels good to spend our money into something that will, in turn, give back to us.

Welcome Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails