Monday, September 21, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays




Why yes, that IS a picture of my new rainfall showerhead.


Sometimes the little things make all the difference.

I remember when I was younger and heavy into my sci fi/fantasy phase -- well, the heaviest -- I read every book the library had on people being transported to other worlds, or times, or dimensions or what have you. I had my whole list of how I would handle it, should it happen to me. What songs I would sing, what I would reveal or not about my own world, and what I'd miss most.

Which was a hot shower.

This was back in the day when I had to be at school at 7:05 am for 7th grade. Brutally early for non-early bird me. I woke to the alarm in the dark of morning and stumbled into the hot shower. In many ways, that was when I woke up, under the hot water. My stepfather tried to get me to use less water, less hot, but in this I defied him. It helped that he couldn't really make me, only complain.

It's funny to me, that, now that I've written my own transported-to-another-world novel, that the hot shower doesn't play in for my character. The difference between 42 and 12, I suppose. It's noteworthy, however, that a major turning point in the book occurs in the chapter called "In Which It Rains." Maybe my shower-thing has morphed into a rain-thing.

The rainfall showerhead? Oh yes yes yes.

When we were prepping our old house to sell, we replace some of the inadequate plumbing with shiny new stuff, including buyer-seducing updated rainfall showerheads.

And my life was transformed. I lurved mine with a love that was pure and true.

When I rhapsodized on the subject, several of my colleagues said they hated theirs, because the showerhead couldn't be used to scrub down the shower.

This is so not my priority. Call me a hedonist. I'm at peace with that.

When we moved, though the new house is wonderful and gorgeous, I sorely missed my rainfall showerhead. The showerhead here spit and drizzled in a most unsatisfying way. But, over the weekend, I bought and installed a new rainfall showerhead. Yes, my own self.

And today I have gorgeous day outside and hot rainfall in.

You know how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails