Friday, September 25, 2009

Inspiration



When we moved here, many of my friends predicted my writing would take off. That I would be so inspired here, I would become some kind of literary Georgia O'Keefe, exploding with masterworks.

Well, okay, it's only been a month.


But the work hasn't been just flowing out this week.


It could be because of my head cold. I'm muzzy-headed. But I don't think that should matter, because I suspect writing comes from a different place than the mind. I asked paranormal romance author Melissa Mayhue the other day if she thinks she writes from her brain. She said it was more like the dreamy place she was in playing with dolls as a little girl.


I know what she means.


Lately it's been hard for me to capture the dreaminess. It could be that I'm revising, which is very think-y. All the time I'm weaving, massaging and reworking, making sure all my threads are lining up. When I have to add text, it feels mechanical. I'm not feeling it.


And part of it is, I'm writing about sinister moments in dark forests, while outside my window the sky is brilliant with light and the desert sweeps in a golden surge up to the blue mountain vista.


This morning, I actually buried my head in my hands to shut it out, so I could dive into the darkness the scene needed.


I wonder how much of it you really need to feel, for the writing to be good.


I'm probably overthinking.

5 comments:

  1. You need to feel all of it. You need to, as "they" suggest, write facing a painted white wall. And THEN when you're done, your reward is that beautiful desert vista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *wanting RoseMarie to be wrong* (but she's probably right...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. also you've not been feeling well. Not good inspiration-inducing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, part of the challenge is shifting gears from the analytical editor to the creative author. I have a hard time doing both in the same session. One read and one pen for mechanics. Another read and another pen for emotions. A third read and a third pen for the story. It's like weaving a french braid of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good point KAK. I think it is hard to do both in one session. Must work on that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails