Monday, March 7, 2011

What Did He Use to Do?

Every morning while I'm in Tucson, I get up early and walk the circuit of the 9-hole golf course, before the golfers get going.

I miss going to the gym first thing, but the walk takes 45 minutes and makes up in length what it lacks in intensity. Plus there are bunnies and quail everywhere. Birds sing. This morning I saw an owl. I also saw a spot where it looked like an owl had gotten a dove. Feathers scattered everywhere told the tale of a midnight scuffle.

Every morning, too, I see the same two guys, prepping the golf course for the day. This fellow does the raking of the sand traps and grooms the grass with his Zamboni-ish machine that creates those long stripes. He looks African to me, both in his face and the way he doesn't look at me when I walk by. The other guy always says hello. He's tall with silver hair and a golf course jacket. His job involves testing the putting greens and tees. Or tamping. Perhaps he both tests and tamps.

I wonder if working at a golf course is a good living. Probably it's a better deal to be the tester/tamper than the raker/rider. Like most jobs, though, you likely have to start out as raker/rider guy.

It's funny because so many people in this neighborhood are retired. Sometimes, when they talk about their friends, my folks will mention what people used to do. "Oh, she was a lawyer, you know. And he held political office." At this time, though, they have no uniform that tips you off. They carry no briefcases, have no tell-tale packets of real-estate sell sheets. At the Starbucks, the retirees and vacationers stand out easily from the people heading to jobs.

I had a friend from Madrid many years ago and she commented on how odd she found it that Americans always ask each other what they do. She's right - it's among the first things people ask each other when first meeting. She thought it indicated that Americans define themselves by what they do for a living, where for the Spanish it means so little that they often have no idea what a person does for money.

So many of us writers have a dual answer to that question of what do we do. We say oh, my day job is ex, but I'm also an aspiring/freelance/well-published author. Sometimes we specify the day job, other times we leave it vague. It takes a while to fess up the writer part, too.

I like to think my raker/rider guy who never looks up is deep in thoughts about his painting or his poetry. The Zen of the golf course gives him time to think. He works early hours, then composes in the afternoons.

Or perhaps he hangs with his kids. Or has two other jobs. Maybe he breeds horses.

I'll just make up my own story for him.

6 comments:

  1. And that's why you're a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on where I am how I'll answer that "what do you do" question. But, I would say that 90% of the time, I answer with my day job's title even though I spend most of my time thinking of myself as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always answer with the "day job" and add I'm a writer if the person looks like they are genuinely interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tis true, Linda!

    I hear you there, Danica and Chudney - it's often easier not to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Malaysia we didn't ask people what they do but have you eaten or in our language "Sudah makan?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. and that points up all the cultural difference right there, Zai!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails