Friday, November 19, 2010

More than a Feeling


David loves Pandora. You know, it's internet "radio." You plug in a song or a favorite band and Pandora creates a "station" for you of similar music. He hooks his laptop up to the stereo and listens for hours that way.

Yesterday, Boston's More than a Feeling came on and, like music can, it took me back.

No, I'm not old enough for that song to have been a current, hot hit for me. I was ten when the album was released. I don't know that I had ever heard of Boston or that song - what got me was the cover. Somewhere around the time I was 13 or 14, I found that record at a garage sale for something like 50 cents. Heavy into sci fi at the time - which had the additional bonus of often including quite steamy sex not discernible from the appearance of the books - I bought the record for the spaceships.

When I played it, though, the opening chords of More than a Feeling sucked me right in.

Something about it transported me, gave me that more-than-a-feeling feeling. It's added layers now that the lyrics say "when I hear that old song play."

Around that time I joined the Multi-cultural Club. Oh yeah, possibly the geekiest club in school. It was like I couldn't help myself - I irresistibly drawn to those social groups who doomed your chances of ever being cool if you went to even one meeting.

Of course, I didn't think that way.

At any rate, we wanted to do a fundraiser and it was to be a fashion show. I don't know why. I think to showcase the different national costumes or some such. The club sponsor was a young woman. Early 20s, I realize now. And she was of some kind of Latino or Hispanic extraction. Maybe South American? I didn't really register it then, but she spoke with a heavy accent and was shy. I said we needed music and she said okay, I was in charge of music.

We did this during lunch, to maximize the audience. How this was a fundraiser, I have no idea.

As we gathered together, this gaggle of geeks, with our various outfits to change into, I eyed the busy lunchroom with trepidation.

This was a really bad idea.

Nobody is cruel like high-schoolers trying to each lunch. Even in my hopeful naivete, I knew this. But we were committed. Our club sponsor happily started the record and I readied myself to step out onto the platform catwalk we'd set up around the room.

Those sweet opening chords filled the room, propelled me forward. I became that girl walking away. Not a geek, but a model on the catwalk.

It was spectacular. They even applauded.

More than a feeling, indeed.

4 comments:

  1. That's the best story ever! I love that song, by the way. It's...really just fantasic really. It always makes me want to get in my car, hit the highway, and blare it as I attempt to hit the high notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - were you there? Do you remember that??

    Thanks, Danica! Nothing like car singing when only you know the high notes aren't quite high enough. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! And, FINALLY, one with a happy ending. I'm trying to remember what you wore.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails