Tuesday, June 29, 2010


I couldn't decide today between earth and sky, so you get both. Shades of blue.


If I haven't mentioned, writing fiction is really fun.

(Well, except when it's miserable, but that's a whole other set of issues.)

Really I mean that writing fiction is fun compared to nonfiction. I started out as an essayist because that kind of voice came naturally to me. And there's satisfaction in telling those kinds of stories. True stories about life and people, the things we experience. Once this new novel is complete, I might spend a little time writing or revising some essays, just to get my hand in again.

Then again, I might not. Because writing fiction is really run.

It's fun like reading is fun. You know that feeling you get, when you're reading a book you love, and your mind is sunk in that story, that world, that voice? I get that writing fiction. When its going right, my mind returns to the story and the characters over and over through the day and I would absolutely stay up all night to finish reading it.

If only I'd finished writing it, that is.

It's an odd sensation, because that aspect of writing feels more like self-love, like navel-gazing, than any other. Like I'm so in love with the sound of my own voice that I want to listen to it all the time. Perhaps this is why so many writers like to ascribe their inspiration to muses or other outside storytellers.

"It's not me, I just write down the story as it comes to me."

Loving Calliope or Erato feels more wholesome than loving the sound of one's own voice. Besides, as we all know, that way leads to insanity for writers. Ego is the eternal danger.

Amusingly, the last time I used the "insanity" label on this blog, I accidentally typed my heroine's name when I logged in that morning, instead of my password. Which is exactly what I did today.

At least I'm consistent in the way my thoughts run?

Just so long as it's not a foolish consistency, which leads to hobgoblins and all manner of obnoxious creatures. I'm pretty sure hobgoblins are not the new zombies, which were the new angels, which were the new vampires.

I know, it's hard to keep up.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, we *must* make hobgoblins the new dark heroes!

    Or Lizards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the heroines then all have to have little minds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your voice sounds great...I like listening to it.

    Write on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KAK and Marcella - I *love* this concept. Hobgoblins CAN be the new vampires, in love with small-minded heroines. We can make it happen!

    And thanks Kelly, for listening and not getting tired of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails