Friday, January 15, 2010

Blamestorming

Yesterday I was telling my mom about the implosion of this project we're working on and how there's a lot of blamestorming going on now.

She loves me and thinks I'm brilliant, so she thought I made up the word. Which I didn't. It was on one of those email lists a while back along with one of my other favorites "the Dopeler Effect," which is the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

At any rate, this one guy just hasn't done what needed to be done. Maybe he just never had the ability. And now other people are being drawn into it like a giant black hole of failure. Okay, just a little black hole of failure in the grand scheme, but with tremendous sucking power, and I mean that on every level.

Meanwhile, in the online literary world, there are a couple of writers who've recently imploded, one published, the other trying to be, both for the same issue: reviews.

Readers and writers watched in horror as a writer reacted to a one-star review of her book on Amazon with increasing anger. She has since deleted her comments, which was the wise thing to do, but it was far too late as those of others remain.

The book review blogger, Katiebabs, has now posted this story about an unpublished writer who has posted her, yes, unpublished book on Good Reads and asked for reviews. She wants to create sufficient buzz to ensure a publishing contract. The catch is, she's asked readers to refrain from reviewing it unless they'll give it three stars or more. The post on Katiebabs has an interesting conversation between readers, writers and reviewers in the comments.

The thing is: we all have to meet standards in our work. It doesn't really matter if the standard is fair or if it's just someone else's opinion. You can't bully people into saying you did a good job. Or whine your way into it. "Blamestorming" is a funny word, because we've all been there. It's easy to free-associate reasons for why things didn't go the way you want them to.

We watched Earth last night. Which was stunning in its beauty and devastating in showing the indifferent cruelty of nature. I ended up crying for the deaths of a baby caribou and adult polar bear who couldn't get at the baby walrus. It makes no sense and yet I want everyone to win.

Have I mentioned I'm a sensitive soul? Yeah, even David laughs at me, rooting for both sides.

But, like the earthquake in Haiti, it isn't God who did it, nor was it the Devil. It just is. Some hits are harder than others -- sometimes a person loses everything, sometimes your feelings are hurt or your work reputation is damaged -- but we all take them.

What's important is taking them with grace.

6 comments:

  1. The good news (if you had watched the movie to the very end) is that the adult polar bear survived. The camera team showed him coming up to their cameras for a sandwich. (At least I HOPE that was the same bear! That's what we told the grand boys.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the same bear, I think, but due to cinemagic, I believe that scene was from earlier in time. But it's a lovely thought, and I'm glad at least Brett and Henry got to believe it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the linkage :)

    But, really why do we need standards? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Jeffe. You said it all and very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Keena -- I know that you, as both published author and career gal in the "normal" world know exactly what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails