Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Seven Calorie-Free Ways to Enjoy the Holidays - Day Two


Welcome to Day Two of our adventure in exploring calorie-free ways to evoke the holiday spirit.

Yesterday I talked about the realm of scent. How lotions and body scrubs can evoke that special celebratory feeling. You may have seen my old friend, Kev, asking if this really works. He's a rare person who has no sense of smell. He thought that for people who can smell, scent only makes you hungrier. This can be true. However, I've found that indulging in the scent of something delicious is satisfying in itself. Some of this might tie into breaking those habits of emotional eating, like I've described with fasting. Just because something smells desirable doesn't mean you eat it. But enjoy the lovely scents nonetheless.

So today we add a layer of taste to the mix. How to enjoy flavor without calories (or manufactured chemicals with disconcerting FDA histories)?

Tea: warm, sweet, spicy and good for you

Tea is a wonderful thing. It's warm. The range of scents and flavors vary all over the spectrum. You can drink all you like without a single calorie and, if you choose carefully, they're even good for you. The best part is, you can add in some festive glassware for that extra celebratory touch.

Let's face it - half the fun of Starbucks at holiday time is getting the festive red cup. It's silly and yet it makes us happy to see them. And those special flavors they have only for the holidays? Oh yes. I saw the ripple across twitter when people announced the pumpkin-spice lattes were out. And now those ginger-spice lattes and black-cherry mochas. It's clever marketing because having those flavors only at this time of year makes them special. That's entirely the trick of creating your own celebratory treat.

Sadly, those ginger spice lattes are not sugar-free. And for me, now that I'm staying away from milk and from caffeine - that doesn't leave much in the cup.

So, I'm indulging in tea. Pick a special mug for Christmas. Something that evokes the season for you. A few years back I gave my mom these great metallic mugs that look like Christmas tree ornaments. I still regret not getting some for myself. But there are lots of pretty mugs and fabulous tea pots. I like to brew my tea in a ceramic pot that I keep on my desk for easy refilling.

While shopping with my mom and Hope, I discovered Teavana. Fair warning: Teavana is quite "too." The tea is expensive and it comes with specific instructions on what temperature to steep it at and for exactly how long. This is so not me. I boil the water. I throw the tea in an infuser, throw it all in the tea pot and it sits on my desk that way all morning. No doubt the lovely and precise sales lady who explained the instructions to me would be wringing her perfectly manicured hands in anguish.

I'm just saying - don't let that stop you.

They got me on this blend of White Ayurvedic Chai and Samurai Chai Mate. The latter does have caffeine, but I can control the amount by how much I add to the infuser. Ah, the scent, the warm sweet taste. It's like being in a tea house in Europe with an antique book while snow falls outside.

Or at least, how I imagine that would be.

There's lots of easy tea choices. The site that provided the picture above seems to have good information. And Damn Fine Tea, which is run by some friends of mine, has a special holiday blend this year. (No, they didn't give me tea to say this, but they should!) It's also as simple, though, as plucking a box of tea off the grocery store shelf. Peppermint, cinnamon, cloves. Pick the spice that makes you feel special. Cozy up to your festive mug and sip. Let the brew transport you.

There's a reason writers love tea.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I am a total tea-aholic. Jasmine is my all-time favorite, but I love most kinds. Black, green, white -- whatever. Hot and aromatic really does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a hot tea phase a few years ago, but most of the time drinking hot beverages down here is just asking to sweat. I have my cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day, but with winter creeping on us, I might have to look for something to warm me from the inside out without keeping me awake all night (and sugar free). Definitely going to look for some tea now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, Linda - just like your men?

    I suppose you could always brew your tea and then ice it, Danica...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, it just isn't the same though!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails