Friday, February 19, 2010

Versions


I take a lot of photographs, to get the one I want.

This is something I learned a long time ago, from professional photographers. Back then, I thought, well this is something I'll never do, because film and developing were expensive and was a kid. Seriously. I remember being disappointed in my photos from Girl Scout camp because I could never really capture how things looked. So, I had no funds to devote to getting the right picture and when I did have funds, I still didn't care enough.

I'm an impatient person. My greatest flaw perhaps? David thinks so. Or at any rate, if he could change one thing about me, that would be it.

Of course, if I got to pick, I'd probably have him be ready to go on time, so there's a lesson there. Draw your own conclusions.

Still, I'm just not patient with doing one thing multiple times. If I can get away with doing it right the first time, I will. If I can get away with doing it mostly right, or close enough the first time, I will.

The beauty of the digital camera is, I can take lots of photos and easily review and delete them. The downside is, I'm accumulating images. The sunset pic from last night is one of eight I ended up keeping. I had a hard time deciding which to show you.

I don't like rewriting, either. It feels like retread to me. Back when I typed my papers for college on my Brother Correctronic, I did just that: composed as I typed. One time through and I was done. In my perfect world, I'd write a novel that way, too -- beginning to end, one time through.

I know, I know. It's not a perfect world and I'm not queen of it. Much to my chagrin, I assure you.

So, the New Novel is coming right along, but I'm feeling aggravated with it from time to time because it keeps wriggling and changing under my hands. I thought I was molding one story and it keeps mutating into other things. This is okay, I know. The other writers keep telling me to go with it, let it be what it wants to be, this is magic and so forth.

But what annoys me is: I'm going to have to revise the beginning. Probably multiple times. Gah!

At least I don't have to do it on paper. Small mercies for an impatient writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails