Wednesday, September 8, 2010

LEEzard


A new sighting on the wildlife camera! The rare literary lava iguana, also known as a LEEZard.

Yeah, okay, it's a running joke.

The difficult thing about inside jokes is, they evolve over time and are thus difficult to explain to those who weren't part of the (often punchy) process. And then, when you do explain, it's usually not funny anyway.

But I'll try. Because *I* think it's funny.

It started when I first moved to Santa Fe a year ago. David got a night-vision camera and set it up to see what all wildlife was coming up on our porch at night. I was messing with him by putting up my little purple iguana beanie doll that Val brought me from Australia in front of the camera as a "sighting." I thought I was SUPER DUPER funny and he erased the picture. I blogged about it, of course.

At this same time, I was spending morning writing time in the FFP water cooler - an online chat room where we gather to write. We write for an hour or half-hour and check in to compare word counts, cheer or commiserate. In this odd pattern, my internet would tank regularly sometime around 9 am, every damn morning, kicking me out of the chatroom. My critique partner KAK speculated that it was the lizard.

Really - it got to be very funny.

But it all peaked one night when KAK and I were IMing feedback to each other about our current novels. I told her I didn't care if her heroine did have lizard-like scales, the biologist in me didn't buy that she could swim in lava and not be affected. It turned out that she wasn't lizardy at all, but more feline and I'd completely misinterpreted the descriptions. KAK accused me of lizard bias. I pointed out that felines were even LESS likely to survive a lava-swim. She told me I needed to tell the reader how to pronounce some of my bizarre words, which I find it awkward to do without breaking that fourth wall.

Hey reader! You pronounce it like this! You see my point?

But just then I saw an excerpt from someone's published novel where the hero, Gunnar, tells the heroine, in his husky bedroom voice as he stalks towards her, gleaming and naked, "you pronounce it GOOnar."

I know, right?

Oh, GOOnar, take me!

I shared, KAK started in on LEEzards... it was silly and punchy and might not be funny to you at all.

But she sent me a LEEzard for my recent birthday. It's been out, running around and chewing up the internet lines.

Thanks KAK!

6 comments:

  1. ~wipes tears from eyes~

    Yep, yep, yep, still frakkin' hilarious to me.

    --GOOnar

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Hey, I'm half-Swedish, and I STILL think GOOnar is freakin' funny. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post, Jeffe!

    Damn, I've been mispronouncing it all these years! GOOnar, not LEEzard cause everyone should say it that way. Sounds much cooler then the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! It's funny...although I'm more intrigued by how a feline swims in lava and doesn't get burned. My thought is: fire bad, lava worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its funny and that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails