Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Secret Surprise


Yesterday we had visitors.

My colleagues Carolyn Gillette and Jim Jolley were in town doing some work, so they came by to see the house and we went out to dinner afterward. In the process of giving them the tour, I discovered that these iris are blooming in the Secret Garden. (Note that they're not yellow - heavily amended soil there.) Part of what makes the Secret Garden so secret is that you can't see much of it unless you actually go out there, which I just don't do as often as I should.

Part of that is because I have to go through the garage to get to the Secret Garden. Yeah, it's poor design. If I were to engage in any remodeling, that would be my first one - cut a door from the kitchen to the Secret Garden. As it is, you can see the garden from the kitchen window, which is lovely, but only gives you a long-distance, straight-line view.

It comes down to that I have to go out to the Secret Garden on purpose and I just don't all that much. It's the great impact of the computer age, I think, that they're not all that compatible with going outside. Well, that and a cool Spring. When I'm not working my day job, I'm writing, which I also do on the computer.

Or answering emails. Or IMing with people. Or reading blogs and interesting articles. Or critiquing other manuscripts. Reading books is about the only thing I don't do on the computer.

I begin to feel like I live on my laptop.

There are ways to get away from this, I know. I'm sure you're thinking of suggesting that I write longhand. Or go back to corresponding via handwritten letters. I could even spend time with flesh and blood friends, should I find some.

(Actually I'm having coffee next week with a real, live other writer. A new friend found on the studio tour. Amazing!)

But it's all academic - I'm not going to do those things. For now I'm wedded to my laptop for most activities.

Instead I'll add a bit of reading in the Secret Garden to my To Do list.

5 comments:

  1. Those are so pretty, my irises pop up & i didn't even notice them until they were almost done blooming. :-(. Your married to your laptop, and I'm married to stress it seems. However, I've just begun divorce proceedings, so i'll be spending more time in my crazy A garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume your To Do list is also on your laptop. And a spreadsheet, to boot, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffe, ~whine~ Now I have Aerosmith's "Avant Garden" stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. La Tessa - you GO girl! Ditch that ugly stress.

    And yes, Kev - of COURSE it's on a spreadsheet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KAK - happy to install ear worms any time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails