Saturday, December 19, 2009

Broken Wings























I have a collection of fairies that hang over my desk.

I like fairies, so some of these I've had for a long time. And I write about them recently, so I've begun to gather more.

One of my favorites is a glass fairy Dave, my stepfather, gave me a couple of years ago. I even used pictures of her on my website.

Before I even got her home from Christmas in Tucson, one of her wings had broken. I couldn't get it glued back on, so I took her to a jeweler and he fixed her.

During the move, though, the same wing came off again. I was able to glue it but, before I got her hung up, it came off again.

Last night I tried again with the gluing. In the process the other wing came off.

Now she's a pitiful flightless creature and I find myself wondering why I keep trying. It comes down to that I like her and I want her the way she's supposed to be.

It's one of my great beefs with the universe, that things break.

Fie on you entropy!

I suppose I've chosen to be one of those who won't go gently into the dark night of entropy. I rage against the breakage, the loss.

And, what happened to all of those little glassblower booths that used to fill the malls?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails